Sunday, July 5, 2015

An Honest Evaluation

Mom changed my food to The Honest Kitchen last month, and we decided to talk together about the journey here. We'll feature updates on how things are going for us with the change so that you'll know what to expect if you change your best friend to a brand new food, too.

Some dogs don't do well with change, just like some people don't. Their digestive system just isn't equipped to handle different things and they get sick if they're changed too quickly. A slow transition is always smart, just in case. Nobody wants a case of Didn't Make It Outside-itis. Or worse, Soiled Mom's White Carpet-itis. Slow change. Remember that.

Mom knew that my digestive tract is pretty much galvanized because nothing seems to upset my tummy. At least food-wise. If mom leaves me for a long time, however, my nerves get the best of me and things get pretty loose, if you know what I mean. But because I can basically eat carrion and wash it down with murky lake water, she just changed me over cold turkey to The Honest Kitchen. And trust me, it's FAR healthier than carrion and lake water. Remember, THK is human-grade food. FINALLY. It's about time some amazing company recognized that we need good food, too.

While I loved the samples that mom got at BlogPaws for me, the recipe she chose when she ordered wasn't my favorite. My vet recommended a novel protein, which means a meat that isn't normally found in dog foods like turkey or duck or fish (and THK has all of those), and mom wanted a grain-free. Both of these were to help clear up allergies they suspect I have because my eyes are watery and red rimmed. A lot of dogs are allergic to the protein in their food, my vet said, and mom knows that a lot of dogs are also allergic to grains.

Embark (the grain-free turkey recipe) seemed to clear up whatever was bothering me, so that was a definite 4-paws up. This is a not-so-flattering picture of me before starting the diet for my allergies. Mom caught me sleeping. At least I wasn't drooling.

cream french bulldog sleeping close up head

And this is a picture of mom photo bombing me, after 3 weeks on Embark. Don't be distracted by her face in the background, because it's me you need to be staring at. Look deeply into my eyes... They're beautiful, aren't they? That's what allergy-free looks like; pure handsomeness.

cream french bulldog selfie with owner photo bombing in the background close up face nose wrinkles

The problem was, I didn't like the food. The other recipes I'd tried were mouth wateringly delicoius, but Embark is not my favorite. It's green for starters. Every 2-legger knows the greens aren't the most tasty foods there are, so why would they put them in dog food? Probably because there'd be less for them to eat if they made the dogs eat them. Turns out, we don't like green veggies either. Or at least I don't. And I especially don't like carrots.

I cleaned my bowl. Honest!

I know that THK makes super yummy food, because I'd had other recipes from them, so I decided to protest the fact that I was being force fed carrots in pureed green veggies. (Who even cares that there was turkey in it.) I stopped eating. Mom panicked and called the good people at The Honest Kitchen, who insist on being called during such emergencies. (Their phone number is right on the box!) They were super helpful in giving tips to get me to eat again. They even have a place on their website with helpful tips for problems like this, because some dogs just don't like change at all. Mom was very happy with the helpful and friendly customer service she got. I wasn't so much. They didn't offer to send steaks in place of the carrots and green veggies.

Mom chose the option of mixing some treats with my food. These were treats like freeze dried chicken or Jones Natural Chews taffy sticks. They're the only kind I'll eat, because I have decided that I want to have a very refined palate. It's what all the fancy dogs have. I ate the treats, and ended up having to eat the food, too, because mom is super good at mixing them in and not just sprinkling them on top. I'm still not a huge fan of the carrots in green veggies, but sometimes when the other dogs are wanting my food, I just eat it really quickly because even if it's not my favorite, it's MINE and they're not going to get it.

Mom is very happy with how the food cleared up my allergies, but she said I get to try another food now because she's not sure if I was allergic to the protein or the grain. We're going to try the whole-grain turkey next, so stay tuned for that installment of What Louie Likes To Eat.

And don't forget, I'm giving away a FREE 4lb box of Embark to one lucky winner! (Not mine. I ate that one. Yes, all of it.) If you have allergies, or just want to try a super healthy diet, this is a great food for you! Be sure to enter below for a chance to win.

If you want FREE food in the meantime, click the Honest Kitchen logo at the top of the sidebar. Simply choose what food you want, fill in your name and address (so they know where to send it) and it'll show up in your mailbox in a few days!

a Rafflecopter giveaway


8 comments:

  1. I'll help out wiv the carrots Louie, I luffs me some carrots!
    Glad you hear you found somefinks to help your allergies though, thats a result
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy & Buzz will help you out with eating carrots any time you want ;-) They love them. The pups eat raw these days, and to make sure it's balanced, we add dehydrated veggies & fruits to the equation. One of the dehydrated options we use is The Honest Kitchen's Base Mix :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird. We use their base food and don't see any carrots in it. Gadget eats it all up, even though it's green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kilo loves raw veggies, carrots especially!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't really like that stuff cause it stinks. Hope it works for you. We are trying Acana. Do we'll see
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Y'all!

    Oh I love veggies! Especially carrots! I eat a grain free food for my allergies and it has freeze dried chicken strips in it.

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. N is picky about food too. He won't eat HK but his friend was perfectly willing to eat it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pups lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve their veggies!!!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete