Thursday, August 6, 2015

There's No Shame In My Game

I love my human. A lot. I show my loyalty by never leaving mama's side. (Rarely ever.)

If mama goes upstairs, I go upstairs, too.

If mama goes to the workshop to make collars, I go to the workshop too.

If mama goes to the bathroom, I sit at her feet.

If mama goes for the mail at the end of the driveway, I, too, go for the mail. Mostly. Mama makes me stay a dozen feet inside the driveway so I'm not near the road. But I faithfully wait for her there, because I never leave mama. Hardly ever.

When mom and I are running or speed hiking, she lets me off leash, because it's just easier to run without a leash attached to you, whether you've got 4 legs or 2. Mama she knows she can trust me to never leave her side.

When we were on vacation this past weekend,
I followed mama everywhere, because that's what I do.

Mama wanted some photos of her 2-legged kids, and she gets all sorts of crazy when she's taking pictures. She climbed onto a large log, and walked out into the river, balancing on stones the whole way, and even climbed on top of a large rock. I followed her each step of the way, because that's what I do. I take my job of Showing Loyalty very, very seriously. Halfway through all that crazy photo hopping, we all decided that it would be best just to unleash me. Being tethered to someone by just 4' of leash while balancing on rocks in a river and trying to hold both a camera and a cell phone for pictures is not in your best interest if you're clumsy. Mama is. I'm most certainly not.

It was when mama was perched on a tiny rock in a stream, with me on another tiny rock directly behind her, that an innocent bystander commented to the effect of "does he just stay with her all the time?" Dad assured the man that I did, because I know my job. He watched in wonder as I Frogger Hopped with mom across the creek and up onto a log on the river bank, and he just shook his head. Mama leashed me again when we were done with photos, because it's just good manners when you're in public and other people and dogs are there.

At the next stop on our weekend trip, there was a dam that you could walk across. My younger two boys tossed their shoes aside and took the plunge, wading up to their ankles in freezing cold water, and having a great time. I followed mama downstream to photograph it. And then mama took off her shoes and waded out onto the breast of the dam so that she could take pictures of the family on the shore.

Dogs have limits. I found mine.

I contemplated, and thought harder, and struggled with the terms of my contract, and almost went in after mom, but at the very last minute she took pity on me and unclipped my leash and let me just sit on the dry stones and watch her.

I have no guilt for not taking a public bath. Don't try to shame me with it, either.

You'll notice me sitting by my boy, on the left of the photo. NO SHAME.




9 comments:

  1. My dogs agree with you, Louie. There is no shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom is laughing so hard, you sound like us
    Snorts
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, Louie, you are adorable!!!!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh Louie, you are so cute and loyal too. My Guinness is like you. He follows me everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOL, I follow my momma around a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! Sometimes I wish my Riley followed me around like that...he prefers his dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely no shame!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No shame no shame no shame! http://sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com/2015/08/teaching-hug-on-command.html?showComment=1439104680238#c9060458471511978674

    ReplyDelete